1. Aspirants: To aid in the discernment of whether or not one has a vocation to the Benedictine way of life, the Aspirant begins by reading the following two books:
(1) Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict, by Esther de Waal.
(2) Spirituality For Everyday Living: An Adaptation of the Rule of St. Benedict, by Brian C. Taylor.
2. Postulants: The Postulant formation program lasts from six months to one year and is designed to introduce the Postulant to the Benedictine way of Prayer, Work and Study.. Each Postulant will be required to read certain books concerning the Benedictine way of life and will also be expected to make a monthly written report to their Mentor outlining their progress. Each Postulant will begin with the daily reading of the Rule using the following book: The Rule of Benedict: A Spirituality for the 21st Century, by Joan Chittister, O.S.B.
The Postulant will read the following books in the order listed:
(1) How to Become a Monastic without leaving your day job, by Brother Benet Tvedten.
(2) A Life Giving Way: A Commentary on the Rule of St. Benedict, by Esther de Waal.
(3) A Rhythm of Life: The Monastic Way, by Brother Victor-Antoine d’Avila-Latourrette.
(4) (Elective) The Cloister Walk, by Kathleen Norris.
3. NOVITIATE: Those that wish to become an Member will fulfill a Novitiate of one year and will include (1) the reading of the following books in the order listed and (2) a monthly written report to their Novice Master on their progress.
Living With Contradiction: An Introduction to Benedictine Spirituality, by Esther de Waal.
Lectio Divina: Renewing the Ancient Practice of Praying with the Scriptures, by M. Basil Pennington, O.C.S.O.
Monastic Practices, by Charles Cummings.
And two (2) from the following eight electives:
Benedict's Rule: A Translation and Commentary, by Terrence G. Kardong.
The Rule of the Master, translated by Luke Eberle.
An Unexciting Life: Reflections on Benedictine Spirituality, by Michael Casey.
The Love of Learning and The Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture, by Jean Leclercq.
Worshipping with the Church Fathers, by Christopher A. Hall
The Lamb’s Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth, by Scott Hahn.
Hail Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God, by Scott Hahn.
Lift Up Your Heart, by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.